The Mid-City Bank building was built in 1911 and achieved its designation as a Chicago Landmark in 2012. Historic photos show the red brick and limestone façade was topped with a flat roof surrounded by a masonry parapet, originally decorated with a prominent white terracotta cornice. By leveraging our Client’s FAR bonus for the property, our goal was to rebuild the cornice, restoring it to its original prominence. After a complex approval process, the plan was finally permitted. Working in close collaboration with Antunovich Associates, we were able to recreate the original historic cornice using Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete Panels (GFRC). Tandem is proud to have participated in the renaissance of the building while cultivating community interest in its historical legacy.
Location: West Loop, Chicago
Architect: Antunovich Associates